At the end of the second day of the conference, I asked Dave Lewis, Author of the Liquid Matrix security blog, to offer up a summary of what he saw from the show floor at the RSA Conference. Here’s a summary of his points:
- What was old is new again. Repackaging of tech to attract the latest concerns, such as data leakage.
- Large proportion of startups have dedicated to positioning themselves to be acquired. Predominantly in the cloud security space. They don’t have much of a plan to extend into the future. Not demonstrating much longevity or foresight.
- Learned what customer pain points are and what they want solved, but there doesn’t seem to be a 1-to-1 correlation between what vendors are offering and what customers need.
- Worried about data loss. What to do with the cloud. How do we get there? How do we do it properly? No straight answers, but good information.
- Security has to be there to enable the business. The critical way to have some weight at the table is to actually have a story to tell about security for the business.
Categories: IT Security and Data Protection