Securing your server and network configurations may be the smartest security work you can do. Why? Continually protected and hardened systems keep your data safe, repel exploits and provide measurable confidence.
Michael Thelander (@TheOtherMichael), Tripwire’s Director of Product Management, explains how even though most understand how Security Configuration Management (SCM) increases an organization’s security posture and what it means to their ability to do business.
Check It Out…
SCM is hard to do, and success requires taking on the task in manageable stages. How do you get started? What are the capabilities to look for in an effective solution?
The first step is to download SecureCheq from Tripwire, a fast, simple to use, free utility for Windows servers and desktops that answers these questions while it tests for common configuration risks.
This free tool:
- Tests for a subset of typical (and often dangerous) Windows configuration errors
- Provides detailed remediation and repair advice
- Tests for about two dozen critical but common configuration errors related to OS hardening, Data Protection, Communication Security, User Account Activity and Audit Logging.
- Demonstrates how systems can be continually hardened against attack
SecureCheq uses configuration tests just like the ones defined in CIS, ISO or COBIT standards. Because these tests include helpful links back to comparable tests in governing policies like DISA, HIPAA or NERC, you can easily see how well your target system would fare under these policies.
But Wait, There’s More…
All this week Tripwire will be at Infosecurity Europe and BSideLondon talking to infosec pros, CISOs, hackers, and everyone else who is involved in producing and consuming the wide array of security solutions available in the marketplace, seeking to better understand how it is we as an industry can better serve our constituency.
Come by booth G90 to get a free copy of Security Configuration Management for Dummies and chat with some of our experts about your configuration needs, or download the guide here at no cost.
Security Configuration Management For Dummies shows you how to:
- Adopt and implement a security hardening policy
- Reduce your network’s attack surface
- Comply with industry or government regulations continuously
- Proactively protect your systems (without breaking your budget)
Download your copy and get started on creating secure, trusted IT configurations your organization can depend on.
Title image courtesy of ShutterStock