Skip to content ↓ | Skip to navigation ↓

volkswagen_logoVolkswagen announced it’s partnering with top Israeli experts to establish a new cybersecurity company aimed at protecting connected cars.

In a press release on Wednesday, the German automaker said the newly founded firm – called CyMotive Technologies – will develop advanced security solutions for next-generation vehicles and mobile services.

Former head of the Israeli Security Services Yuval Diskin will lead the new company, along with cybersecurity experts Tsafrir Kats and Dr Tamir Bechor.

“The car and the Internet are becoming increasingly integrated. To enable us to tackle the enormous challenges of the next decade, we need to expand our know-how in cyber security in order to systematically advance vehicle cyber security for our customers,” said Volkswagen’s head of electrical and electronic development Dr Volkmar Tanneberger at the signing of the agreement.

“CyMotive Technologies provides an excellent platform for doing this,” Tanneberger said.

“It is a long-term investment in cyber security to make vehicles and their ecosystem more secure,” he added.

The company will be based in Herzliya, Israel, and in Wolfsburg, Germany, where Volkswagen is headquartered.

Diskin, who will be serving as the chairman of CyMotive Technologies, said the new cooperation will take an “innovative” and “strategic” approach to cybersecurity.

“Together with Volkswagen we are building a top-notch team of cybersecurity experts,” said Diskin.

“We are aware of the significant technological challenges that will face us in the next years in dealing with the cybersecurity threats facing the connected car and the development of the autonomous car,” acknowledged Diskin. 

The German auto giant is set to own a 40% stake in the project, while the Israeli partners will hold the remaining 60%.